The DAWID project aims to initiate a permanent structure for international students (for whom German is a foreign or second language) to support them in successful and efficient studies in all its phases. The project is financed from central study quality funds (innovation pool) of the Lower Saxony Ministry of Science and Culture. The project aims to significantly improve the supervision ratio for international students for whom German is a second, new, foreign academic language. In addition, our focus is on ensuring and improving the quality of teaching and study conditions for international students and thus on promoting their academic success. Other concerns are to supplement and deepen teaching offers for international students and to strengthen the integration of students of English-language degree programmes into the German-speaking university and living environment.
The following offers are available for this purpose, which are aimed at students of all four faculties and degree programmes of the University of Hildesheim.
The project provides offers that can be used individually as well as offers for student groups.
Individually usable offers:
- Correction consulting (student written works relevant for studies)
- Individual writing and language learning consulting (one-to-one)
- Blended learning course on the German language of science (an interdisciplinary curriculum accompanying studies on scientific work and writing in the German language)
Offers for student groups:
- Two beginners‘ German language courses (A1 and A2) for international students of the Data Analytics programme and ERASMUS students (every semester)
- Tutorials on German as a language of science with a focus on language for special purposes
- Master’s seminar „German as a foreign language of science (for international students)“.
Project Funding & Duration
Lower Saxony Ministry of Science and Culture (Central Study Quality Funds – Innovation Pool)
Funding period 1: 01.01.2021-31.12.2022
Funding period 2: 01.01.2023-31.12.2024